Aero Forum

Go Back   Aero Forum > General Aviation

General Aviation Discuss General Aviation, including small aircraft, private flying, charter companies, aerial photography companies, recreational flying other than air sports, etc.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 AM

drifter is on a distinguished road
Angry unmarked sectional HELP

I was flying my ultralight- and using the current sectional,- however I got a ticket for flying over a National Park. It was a vacant area- hurricanes had destoyed the roads, and buildings. I was flying the area- not knowing it was a national park - but I have to go to FEDERAL court in August. My only defense is that it was not marked on the sectional- any other advise is welcomed.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Pilot 1

skydog is on a distinguished road

If it is not marked on the chart then I would guess that would be a starting point for a defense. I am no lawyer and maybe the best advise would be to hire one or maybe even talking to the people who make the maps and ask them why it was not marked. You can always supeona the map makers and if you can get them to admit to an error it might win your case.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 AM

w5cdt is on a distinguished road

The national parks and wildlife refuge areas are typcially marked with a continous line flanked by dots. As I recall 2000 AGL is the minimum altitude allowed over these *marked* areas. Restricted airspace is marked. As far as I know there is no un-marked restricted airspace. The officer was wrong (I suspect) in giving you a ticket. Having said that I can tell you that the National Park Service pretty much hates aircraft (except to put out their fires!). Join the AOPA and use their legal services. You can join for less than one hour of "hired" lawyer time.

Finally...double-check your little green AF/D. The AF/D has aeronautical chart bulletins in the back which contain last-minute corrections to the latest sectional charts that were too late for the chart publication deadline. If you don't find anything listed then the airspace is offically not marked as restricted. Also check NOTAMS for the area. You will need to be totally thorough when formulating your defense.